Who you going to call? For welfare checks

Welfare checks are a regular job that police get called to.

What if:

  • Someone who regularly checks in, hasn’t?
  • You haven’t seen your neighbour in a while?
  • You receive a message or call that concerns you from someone who may be suicidal?
  • You have reason to believe that someone is in imminent danger?

All these are all instances where police will attend and check on the person that you have a concern for.

If the incident is happening then and there or persons are in imminent danger please call Triple zero (000).

If there is no imminent danger then call Policelink on 131 444.

Police are also requested to attend and check on children as part of custody disputes and when genuine concern for the safety of children has been compromised.

So when do you call police to have them check on a child?

When to call police Call police if a criminal offence is alleged to have been committed against the child and the child is in need of protection.

Call Triple Zero (000) if the child is in imminent danger.

Call Policelink on 131 444 if the child is not in imminent danger.

When to call Child Safety If no criminal offence has been alleged to have occurred and the child is not in need of protection then you are encouraged to contact Child Safety as they are the lead agency in child welfare matters.

Child Safety, Office Hours 1300 703 921

Child Safety, After hours 1800 177 135

Prior to attending such requests, police are required to make a determination as to the lawfulness of any such inquiries based on the criteria above.

Police may not attend if the request does not meet the criteria.

There is Queensland Police Policy relating to these matters which is available to the public.

Click here for the link to this policy. See specifically Section 7.4.10 which relates to Child Welfare Checks.

When you call Policelink or Triple Zero (000) the call taker will ask a series of questions to justify your request.

Your request may be refused and you may be encouraged to seek legal advice to resolve the issues you have raised.

Next week – neighbourhood disputes.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using the online form 24hrs per day.

You can report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers, a registered charity and community volunteer organisation, by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24hrs per day.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *