Translink : New solution for tertiary students

A new solution is here for tertiary students to apply for concession fares!

Eligible full-time uni, TAFE and post-secondary students can now apply online for concession fares on their go card!

Tertiary students can use their existing concession go card or buy a new adult one.

Students will still need to meet all eligibility criteria to travel on concession fares.

Find out more and apply online today!

A 50% concession fare is available for tertiary and post-secondary students on all TransLink public transport services, regional qconnect bus services and approved regional ferry services.

A new solution is now available for eligible tertiary and post-secondary students to travel on tertiary concession fares.

Students in South East Queensland can now apply online for tertiary concession fares on their go card.

Students in regional Queensland (outside the go card network) can now apply for a tertiary concession sticker on their student ID.

Note: Concession fares are not available on Airtrain services.

Eligibility criteria for tertiary concession fares

To be eligible for tertiary concession fares students must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:

  • carry a student ID (issued by a Queensland institution registered with the Department of Transport and Main Roads)
  • reside in Queensland
  • be enrolled in and attending a course:
  • be a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis. To be considered full-time and internal:
    • a university student must be enrolled full-time on an internal basis, as deemed by their university; or
    • students attending an institution other than a university must be enrolled in a course of study requiring attendance at classes (or unpaid practical requirements) for at least 12 hours per week for a minimum course duration of 12 weeks.

Find out more about the Queensland Government's Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiativeOpens in a new window..

You will not be eligible for tertiary concession fares if you:

  • live interstate
  • are a part-time student
  • have a student ID issued by a Queensland institution that has expired
  • are undertaking all subjects externally, online or via correspondence
  • are enrolled in a course that has not been developed and accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)Opens in a new window.
  • are enrolled in a Course in Core Skills or similar bridging course that is not supported by the Queensland Government under its Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiativeOpens in a new window..

If you choose to travel on concession fares without a current student ID or you do not meet the eligibility criteria you could be fined $235.

Apply for tertiary concession fares

School leavers

If you are a year 12 secondary school leaver thinking of doing further study, hold on to your year 12 student ID card to continue to travel on concession fares.

After 1 April 2016, if you continue to travel on tertiary concession fares and don't go onto further study, or if you are studying but don't meet the eligibility criteria, you could be fined $235.

Information for educational institutions

To offer eligible tertiary students access to concession fares, educational institutions must be registered with the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

To register, complete the educational institution registration formOpens in a new window. and send the completed application to the address on the form.

The Queensland Government reserves the right to withdraw an institution's registration if it is found that the institution is not complying with the department's policy, including eligibility requirements as stated on the application form.

For information on registering please call our call centre on 13 12 30.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *