Since 1988, Moreton Bay Region has been home to the largest, most authentic, annual medieval re-enactment in the southern hemisphere – Abbey Medieval Festival – a completely immersive Medieval experience transporting festival-goers back to the days of kings, Vikings, fair maidens, knights and peasants.
With pigs roasting on spits, re-enactment camps, minstrels, jousters, mock-battles and music, it’s an event that is unmatched for its authentic recreation of this fascinating era.
If you’re an ancient history buff, or love all things Medieval this is the festival for you! Bring the whole family to Abbey Medieval Festival 2018 for a fantastic day out experiencing the Middle Ages brought back to life.
Come as you are, or don a period piece costume to fully get into the spirit.
What to Expect
- Authentic medieval jousting
- Medieval encampments of Vikings, Ottoman Turks, Medieval Knights and more
- Medieval demonstrations – dog training, sword skills, falconry, Turkish oil wrestling, gypsy dances and much more
- Medieval re-enactments – castle sieges, Gregorian chants, historical combat, a 14th century knighting ceremony (held Tournament Eve Friday at Abbey Church) and more
- A medieval banquet (bookings essential – will open later in 2018)
- New re-enactment villages (Crusader quarter and redesigned Dark Ages)
- Archery competitions, and horseback archery with Medieval Horse Sports Australia
- Artisan and tradesman workshops
- Fashion parades and costume competitions for adults and children
- Authentic Food and drink stalls
- Roving performers
- Medieval music and bands
- Kids entertainment – jugglers, puppetry, storytelling and much more
- Arts, crafts, gowns, garlands, armour and weaponry stalls and displays
- ATM and toilet facilities are available (yes – there are some perks to celebrating all things Medieval in the ‘modern-day’
Abbey Medieval Festival 2018 Details
When: Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th July 2018
Abbeystowe gates open at 8:45am both days
Where: Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology, 1 – 63 The Abbey Place (off Toorbul Point Road), Caboolture
Who: All ages (family friendly event)
Getting there: Free buses operate from Caboolture Train Station and on-site car parking is available.
Tickets: BUY TICKETS HERE
VIP Experience: Be treated like royalty by purchasing Abbey Medieval Festival 2018 VIP tickets. Not only can you park your chariot in close proximity to the event, you get to jump the front gate queue. VIP’s also enjoy the prestige of first-class jousting entertainment in the Corporate Galleries at the far end of the jousting gallery where you will be served food and wine by friendly serfs, always on hand to assist lords and ladies.
More information: Contact Abbey Medieval Museum on 5495 1652, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay up to date with the festival developments by checking the Abbey Medieval Festival Facebook page.
Program subject to change