Severe Thunderstorm Warnings for Friday December 21 ** Expired **
Severe Thunderstorm Warning - Southeast Queensland
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Logan, Somerset, Gold Coast, Redland City and parts of Scenic Rim, South Burnett, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane City and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
Issued at 5:58 pm Friday, 21 December 2018.
Storm approaching the Gold Coast has weakened slightly, but damaging winds still expected.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:55 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Logan City, Springbrook and Crows Nest. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. They are forecast to affect Coolangatta and Cleveland by 6:30 pm and Esk and Kilcoy by 7:00 pm.
Damaging winds are likely. Large hail is no longer expected.
Roof removed from a property at Yagaburne, north of Goondiwindi, at about 2pm.
95 km/h wind gust recorded at Wellcamp Airport just after 4pm.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.