Is your life or some one you love's life worth $30 Winter Electrical goods safety campaign

New single electric blankets and heaters can be purchased for as little as $30 so is using a damaged one worth risking the life of a loved one?

 

According to Energex’s General Manager Operations Jeff Philipson each year many fires and electric shocks are caused by faulty electrical heating equipment and could be easily avoided.

 

“For most of the year heating appliances are stored out of sight in sheds, ceiling spaces and in cupboards but it is here they can suffer damage becoming a serious safety risk,” Mr Philipson said.

 

“So before people plug in their heaters or electric blankets for the first time this winter it’s crucial they check for signs of damage such as frayed cords, exposed wires, damaged plugs and any other obvious dangers.

 

“If the appliance does have signs of damage best either having it repaired by a qualified technician or simply thrown away because it’s not worth risking the life of a loved one by using something that can cost as little as $30 to replace.”

 

Other heater winter electrical safety tips suggested by Mr Philipson include:

Heaters and electric blankets should always be switched off before you leave the room or go to sleep, and children should never be left unsupervised with these appliances running.

Never place heaters near combustible items such as curtains or clothes, as they may catch on fire, and never use heaters in wet areas such as bathrooms.

Never use heaters where they can be knocked over by people or pets.

Once winter is over ensure heaters and electric blankets are stored safely away from wet areas or where they can be damaged by sharp objects or rodents.

More tips are available from the Energex website … https://www.energex.com.au/home/safety/seasonal-safety

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *